« The biggest tax increase in history.He makes an excellent point »

Let's get real

10/23/08 13:59, by , Categories: Politics, News

Attention John McCain and Sarah Palin:

I've been hearing a lot from you about Real AmericaTM--the people and communities that you seem to believe represent true American values (as opposed to the millions of people who live in concentrated areas like New York City or San Francisco).

I would like to tell you about where I come from.

I was born and raised in Nebraska, and spent my formative years in a town of less than 25,000 people.

My father grew up on a farm, and some of my relatives still carry on that family tradition.

As I was growing up I spent my summers working for local farmers, ridding their soy bean fields of weeds.

My midwestern parents instilled in me a value for hard work and for helping out those who need it.

I was raised in a Christian church and from about the time I was able to read, I was reading the bible.

I left Nebraska to live in Missouri, in a town of 17,000. It's the largest town for 90 miles. I teach special education in a public school. Most of my students come from rural, low-income, or uneducated families.

My meager teacher's salary supports my wife and two children. We don't have many fancy things, but we are happy.

By any standards you may choose, I think I qualify as a Real AmericanTM.

I believe in universal health care. I believe that health care is a right, and in a nation as prosperous as ours there is no excuse for any citizen to not have access to adequate health care.

I believe that people who have been blessed with plenty should be called on to help those who have been blessed with little. I don't care if you call this Socialism or class warfare--where I come from people help people who are less fortunate than themselves.

I'm opposed to war for too many reasons to explain here. I think that our soldiers have fought too long for a cause that was unjust to begin with, and it's long past time for them to come home.

I oppose abortion. I also recognize that if the practice is outlawed (which is unlikely even if we continue to elect Republican presidents), abortions will continue to happen. I believe the most effective way to stop abortion is to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I also believe there are is no Real AmericaTM. Whether we were born in the Midwest, the East Coast, the West Coast, or in the Panama Canal Zone, so long as we pledge allegiance to the United States we are all equally real Americans, who faithfully carry on the values instilled in us by our parents, regardless of point of origin.

If you claim to represent only a portion of our nation, then you will represent none of it.

This entry was posted by and is filed under Politics, News.

Comment from: jordan [Visitor]
jordan

Very well said.

10/23/08 @ 17:42
Comment from: melanie [Visitor]
melanie

ok, i totally get where you’re coming from. not only am i not a real american, but i am not a white person b/c i do not like hardly ANY of the stuff on the list of stuff white people like. i mean i do like sushi and new balance shoes, but i have been known to buy adidas and i have also eaten cooked fish. i kinda hate whole foods, grocery co-ops, the new york times. i have no idea what is best for poor people, can’t snowboard, don’t listen to npr. the list goes on.

oh but back to real americans, do you think that this is just another stupid sound bite or is it yet another way the mccain has fecked up his campaign? i say yes.

10/23/08 @ 20:19
Comment from: [Member]

Melanie, here’s the thing: Stuff White People Like is a comedy/satire site. I’ve heard plenty of folks spew this “Real American” junk and they were totally serious. I don’t think it was a soundbite because Palin keeps on saying crap like that. That and the whole “Country First” thing. When you create a campaign that is so divisive like McCain’s is, no wonder you’re losing the battleground states and undecided voters.

10/24/08 @ 09:27
Comment from: melanie [Visitor]
melanie

well, i think that country first w/o palin would have been a lot more effective. she’s an idiot and mccain has lost us the election by choosing her.

10/25/08 @ 14:46
Comment from: [Member]
Kyle

I don’t think that McCain’s VP choice is the cause of his failing campaign, but a symptom of it. I think McCain saw that he was going to have a very hard time defeating Obama, so he made a desperate gamble with Palin, hoping to simultaneously draw in disappointed Clinton supporters and conservative evangelicals.

His gamble has obviously failed, but I don’t think it’s made him any worse off than he would have been otherwise. He was going to have a huge disadvantage no matter who his running mate was.

10/27/08 @ 07:19
Comment from: melanie [Visitor]
melanie

I think that you are right, choosing her was a symptom of this poorly run campaign. In my opinion, it would have been more appropriate for him to choose a running mate more like himself.

Personally, I do think that Lieberman or even Romney would have appealed more to the center. Karl Rove’s strategy of appealing to the base might have worked against more moderate liberals, but against someone as liberal as Obama, I think appealing to the center was always more important. Hence McCain’s nomination.

Anyway, you ARE right that this was an uphill battle thanks to Georgie and his crappy legacy and given Obama’s mass appeal. But I think Palin has caused the slide into oblivion to accelerate.

Then again, the proof is in the 11/4 polls. I’m not sure I believe that the disparity is as vast as some of the data suggests. Kyle, I wonder if we should do a group order on those tin-foil hats. Maybe we could get a discount.

10/28/08 @ 06:13