« Google Wave - Hook Me UpLong Beach Comic Con Webcomic Panel and Gathering »

WTF of the Day: Petition for Polanski Release

So in my previous post about Roman Polanski's arrrest Kyle wanted to know who was defending him. How about an insane amount of directors whose work I love. Holy crap, seriously guys? Really?

We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski's arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a film festival where he was due to receive an award for his career in filmmaking.

His arrest follows an American arrest warrant dating from 1978 against the filmmaker, in a case of morals.

Filmmakers in France, in Europe, in the United States and around the world are dismayed by this decision. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him.

Yeah, raping a 13 year old girl is a "case of morals." You know, I usually think liberal Hollywood gets a bad rap, but you guys are just making yourself look bad. As Kyle said in his comment, and I firmly believe as well, if this was some normal dude who raped a girl 30 years ago, plead guilty, fled the country, and was finally arrested, you guys would be on the streets cheering and screaming for his blood. This is absolutely ridiculous behavior from these folks who I normally respect and they should be ashamed of themselves. Am I wrong here?

posted by | 09/30/09| 03:45:21 pm| Movies, In the News, Rants and Raves, WTF of the Day|

Comment from: Kyle [Visitor] · http://www.brendoman.com/kyle

Did you see the first name on the list?

(insert Woody Allen joke here)

09/30/09 @ 17:03
Comment from: [Member]   · http://brendoman.com

Yeah, I did, which is why I wrote off the thing entirely at first but then I saw all the other names on the list and I was kind of shocked. I’ve got to wonder though if Polanski is like “Hey, Woody, back off man,” or something to that matter.

09/30/09 @ 18:52
Comment from: [Member]   · http://brendoman.com

Yes, the girl offered to drop the charges, but seeing as how he already plead guilty, and she was a minor when it happened, it doesn’t really work that way. Yeah, the case is pretty tainted by all this hooplah, but I just can’t stop thinking how this all would have played out if it was a random dude. I mean seriously, think of how people treat sex criminals. That is exactly what this was. If convicted, Polanski will be a registered sex offender.

09/30/09 @ 19:54
Comment from: [Member]

Wow. That’s messed up.

09/30/09 @ 20:30
Comment from: Josh [Visitor]

I think he was already convicted after pleading guilty. He was just awaiting sentencing when he fled the country. I agree with you – people need to get their priorities straightened out.

10/01/09 @ 07:22